The Gisclard Bridges,
precursors of the large stayed girder bridges
part - Michel Wagner
Return 1st part
Then were built:
- Marne -
(range of 61m -08/1918)
Pontoise- Val d'Oise (range of 82.30m -
Pommiers _Aisne -
(range of 80 m -
Attigny/Aisne -Ardennes - (range of
Braux/Meuse - Ardennes -
(range of 71.50 m-12/1919)
Sce : D. Leinekugel Le Cocq)
Dormans - Old postcards
Pommiers'bridge old poscard (Coll. M.W.)
The Attigny bridge
old postcards (Coll. M.W.)
Bridge at "Braux ", over the Meuse river
- Ardennes, old postcards
- old poscard (Coll. M.W.)
Construction of the Bridge at Cumières:
"Blondin" in action (suspended trolley used for the construction=)
Picture-card- (Coll. V.Tranchant)
Construction of the Bridge at Cumières
In 1921, in Précy on Oise,
a bridge gisclard is built to replace a suspension bridge destroyed
during the First World War (carried 61.74m). Destroyed during the Second
World War, it will be rebuilt in 1941 with a reinforced concrete deck.
The Arnodin establishments will modify it in 1974 by adding parabolic
farms and steel stiffening girders to him.(
Sce : D. Leinekugel Le Cocq)
Bridge at Précy sur Oise- old postcard(Coll. M.W.)
In 1923, the 7th Engineering corps builds in two months a bridge
in the Polygon of Villeneuve-Lès-Avignon become a test center of
assembly). This construction is told in the Magazine Of the Military
engineering of July-December, 1923 (volume LIII)
battalion of the 7th Engineering in front of the bridge under
construction- Picture-cardS (coll. M.W.)
Reception of the
bridge - Picture - card from 1923 (coll. M.W.)
Old poscard sent in 1928(
follow then in 1924, the
bridge of Baronia, bench to the power station of Camarosa, near
Barcelona Spain (opening 55.34m)
The bridge of Baronia
and the bridge at Révin
photographies , - coll D.Leinekugel Le Cocq
The bridge of Baronia
nowadays ( Photo Robert -
And the same year the rebuilding of
the suspension bridge of Revin -
-Ardennes, old postcards
bridge at Lezardrieux-
This bridge located on Trieux
(Cotes d'Armor) is interesting in more than one way. The current
bridge was designed and built on contest by Gaston Leinekugel Le Cocq in
1924 to support the metric gauge track of the railroads of the Coasts
of North, to replace a suspension bridge built in 1840 by the company of
the Seguin brothers , then repaired , and his wiring replaced by Arnodin
between 1882 and 1889; the apron measured 151 m then.
It is the Company installed per G Leinekugel Le Cocq with Larche which will
be in charge of work.
the suspension bridge of Lezardrieux with the system of Arnodin
ofthe bridge suspension according to the model Arnodin and
Projet built by Gaston Leinekugel LeCocq
The innovation of G Leinekugel LeCocq in this modified version of a
bridge of the Gisclard type lies in the vertical provision of the system
of anchoring of the cables:
particular characteristic of this new rigid suspended Cantilever, lies
in the fact that the cables of the inferior members of the triangulated farms
of the Gisclard type are removed: they are deck trusses of the which play here, economically the role of
inferior member of the farms
of suspension. Like another characteristic of this type of work, the
oblique standing ropes of the axial span come to be fixed on pins of
articulation especially envisaged for this purpose at the ends of the
deck on the bearing . Standing ropes take the reaction of their
vertical component at the base of the pillar of the abutment... "
(Sce: Didier Leinekugel LeCocq)
coming from n°2238 -january 1925- of the french review "Le Genie Civil"
text &photos by Gaston Leinekugel Le Cocq.
Two piles are added supporting metal pylons, the span of the
roadway thus passing of 150 with 112m.
of the new
Old postcard and
modern postcard, current state of the bridge
The bridge will be transformed thereafter into road bridge and will be
restored in 1993; it is always in service.
Modern postcard and postal flame: it should be noted that on
the latter is not reproduced the cabling system of a bridge gisclard but
that of a traditional suspension bridge...(coll
Dubray-27-Conches (coll M.W.)
Photography (18.07.05 - M. Wagner)
In 1924 will be set up a bridge
Saint Leu d' Esserent
in Oise, of a range of 77.70, will be replaced in 1949 by
a suspension bridge with parabolic suspension.
is built on contest with Lumes in
the Ardennes in 1925 (span 75.60m)
Bridge of Lumes-
( coll. M.W.)
The bridge "El Colgante" of Santa Fé - Argentina
The history of this bridge, the " bridge of the
Engineer Martial Candoti " is confidentially connected to that of the
city of Santa Fé a particular symbol of which it became since 1903. Real
barometer of the whims of the Rio Parana, it collapsed four times and
four times was reconstructed. Placed at the end of the lagoon Setubal,
this road bridge also served as aqueduct in its various versions.
Photograph air and plane, document of the site of the government of
(Ministerio de Hacienda y Finanzas
Unidad Ejecutora Provincial (U.E.P.))
bridge in the course of assembly, photograph of the 28/11/1924
In 1922 after the
destruction by a floods of a bridge in the course of construction, engineer Martial R. Candioti, person in charge for the
sanitary works of
the Nation entrusted to the engineer A. Paitovi the study of a possible
establishment of a
Gislard type bridge.
A contest was launched and it was a French company which obtained the
market for all the metallic part, the "Chantiers et Ateliers de la
Gironde", probably subcontractor entreprise of G.LeinekugelLe Cocq.
Indeed ", in 1924 Ferdinand Arnodin dies, his son-in-law, Gaston
Leinekugel-le-Cocq, who married his daughter Aline, leaves settling down
to Larche, next to Brive-la-Gaillarde, in an existing factory. He moves
the wire-stranding machine and takes archives. From this moment all the
bridge Arnodin-Leinekugel goes out of Larche, the factory of Châteauneuf
is sold. " (source: J.M.Hervé )
( coll. M.W.)
All the armature was realized in France then directly forwarded by boat
until Santa Fé to to be raised there.The tests of resistance took place
on April 28th, 1928 and the starting on June 8th. The bridge ihas three
spans, 73.85, 147.70 and 73.85 m.. It supported the second biggest flood
from the century to 1966, and, in 1971, an aqueduct was re-incorporated
into the bridge; but this one collapsed partially in 1983.
A new international call tender was launched to rebuild
a bridge similar to the precedent with the same system of anchoring and
of wiring This one was completed in 2004.
Two stamps were
issued in Argentina showing the bridge , the
first on October 16th 1982 on the occasion of the Games "
"Cross of the South ",the bridge being used
as visual symbol of the
city, the second on April 17th, 2004 to commemorate its reconstruction.
n°1323 of 1982 and Yt n° 2445
In 1925 a bridge intended for Siam
built with a span of 82.50 m, then, a second in 1926 (span of 122.50 m)
of assembly of the bridge intended for Siam
photograph of time
coll D Leinekugel LeCocq
In 1927 a bridge is built on the small Rhone, the
bridge of Chartrouse, property of Mrs. Senty-Lavigne, 1 span of
This bridge will be modified then rebuilt by Freyssinet engineering with
an innovation on the cables...
Picture D.Bounias, City of
Arles - Bouches du Rhône
The same year, on contest is built again the bridge of Boran in the Oise
(carried 69.59m) which will have to be rebuilt in a provisional way
en1941-42 using three elements of Pigeaud bridges. It will be
transformed in 1975 into parabolic suspension bridge.
The bridge of Boran
1927 /1940 -Old postcards (coll. M.W.)
The bridge of Boran in its third state (1940-1975)
postcards (coll. M.W.)
The bridge connecting
Vitry and Alfortville called
Bridge of the "Port à l'Anglais"
was undertaken on contest since 1913. Stopped by the war
of 1914-18, its work lasted until 1927. It consists of three spans of
57.05, 129.96 and 58.25m, in more of those directly inspired by the
Gisclard system, of the cables connects between them the two monumental
first project was replaced by a second,
the steel towers
that have been deemed
were replaced by
This project type
the major advantage
of being one of the least
the one hand a reduction
of metal weight
while maintaining rigidity of
Its construction system
using the use of a
also allowed not to interrupt
on the Seine.
of 244m consists
of three spans,
Interrupted by the war of
his work lasted until
Many time altered, then repaired the bridge is always in service.
Construction of the bridge - Photos
from a booklet - "Arnodin fund"
of Vitry/Alfortville, old postcard
day letter from 1942
Bridge of Vitry ; postal stationery
Alfortville: cancellations secap of
1991and 1999, showing the
diagram of the bridge(coll.
Two bridges finally were built in Syria,
the first in 1928, in Souvar on Khabour
span 52,50 m) , tnen at Deir-Ez-Zor in 1929.
bridge of Souvar in Syria, photographies ,
the bridge of Deir - Ez - Zor,
This narrow footbridge was built by French on
competition between 1927 and 1929 above the Euphrates, it, essentially
for military reasons, the city accommodating then an advanced post of
the "foreign legion. For the disturbed period, when, after the fall of
the Ottoman Empire, the will of independence of the nationalists, the
installation of the French mandate over the "Great Lebanon", and the
takeover of Vichy in 1940. Syria emitted in this period a set of seven
stamps dedicated to this bridge.This one became then a stake in the
battles which acted in this period during the second world war: French
would have tried to blow up it, but unsuccessfully during the fights
which set Supporters of the Vichy government and Free French Forces
allied to the British. n spite of the victory of these last ones and the
declaration of independence of Syria, this one will be effective only in
1946 with the definitive departure of the French troops. The intact
bridge could be considered from then by the Syrian as a symbol of their
access to the independence....
Old poscard (coll.
and photography 'P.Cowsert 2009
It is the last and longest(?) bridge of the Gisclard type built under
Constituted of five spans, three of 112.50 m and two of 34.62 at the
ends, It is always upright, but is used more only for one pedestrian
of stamps from Syria YTn°A87 /A93 of 1940 + color proof (coll.
1944: cover, from Damas to Alger
Other projects began,et were
not finished, often following conflicts; much was not born... So
the bridge of Port StJean - Port St Hubert over the Rance river, under
construction before the war of 1914, who was reconstructed in suspension
postcard, The bridge under construction
celebrated with their right value, and their designers too often wrongfully forgotten . I want to pay homage here to them.
I dedicate this article to Didier LEINEKUGEL LE
COCQ, grandson of Gaston Leinekugel Le Cocq, great grandson of Ferdinand
Arnodin, died on October 30th, 2009, at the age of 67, without the help
of which I would never have been able to draft this article.
|Bibliographical sources -
-"De Fer et de Rève" catalogues, exhibition of the Museum
of the Navy of the Loire, Châteauneuf on the Loire.
- Marcel PRADE: "Ponts et Viaducs au XIXe siècle"- Brissaud Poitiers /
- Serge Montens: "most beautiful bridges of France" ED Bonneton - 2001
- Files and documents pleasantly provided by Didier Leinekugel
2005/2009 - Michel Wagner